Skip to main content

Been a long time.

We laughed as we drove. The road stretched out in front of us, silence punctuated with green fireflies floating overhead. The music carried on quietly in the background, just audible over the steady rumble of the car. I tried to remember the last time we'd spoken so frankly but nothing came to mind. It was a simple realization. We'd never really spoken before. So many similar and even shared experiences that we had never tried to connect over. So many opportunities for bonding squandered. We were entirely different people yet somehow almost exactly the same. "So, five or six months, right?" I asked. "How serious are you and Kara?" He paused for a moment. "What do you mean, serious?" I kept my eyes on the road. The streetlights whipped past like slow motion strobe flashes. "What do you think I mean, serious?" I could see him turn to look at me in my peripheral vision. "I mean," he said. His voice suddenly had gravity. "We've held hands before." I took a moment to process what he had said. I turned to meet his gaze. The red light filled the cabin. "Oh," I said. "You are very young." He smirked. A familiar smirk. I'd seen that smirk before. On an older face. In a mirror. "That was a joke." He said. I turned away, pressing down on the accelerator. "Damn it, David." I said.

Maybe not just almost the same.

I lingered in the doorway for a moment, trying to discern what the commotion was about. "Did you even eat today?" She asked. Her voice was stern, hostile. "Yes." He sighed. "What did you eat?" He paused and stared at her. "I had a sandwich." "When?" Her questions weren't slow enough to ride on the coattails of his responses. "Earlier." "Earlier when?" He was quiet. It was an awful lie. Skills take practice and time, I suppose. "The only thing you had today," she said. "Was a glass of chocolate milk. That is unacceptable." Surreptitiously, I pulled a glass from the cabinet. She continued to lecture him on the merits of nutrition as I opened the fridge and pulled the carton out.

"What's going on?" I interrupted with a certain measure of disinterest.

She turned to me as I poured myself a glass of chocolate milk. "This hard-headed boy won't listen to me. All he had today was chocolate milk. He didn't eat anything and he's trying to lie about it. He just won't listen." I returned the carton to the fridge and she returned her attention to my brother. "That's why you're so skinny. Because you don't eat. You're going to get sick if you don't eat food and just drink chocolate milk all day." She turned around and raised her hands to me in frustration. I shrugged with insouciance and sipped my glass of chocolate milk. She paused for a moment before retreating from the kitchen. She called out to my father. "Do you know what your sons had to eat today?"

And, for a moment, we shared a good smirk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot