Skip to main content

The miracle of life.

I make what I consider, given my vocal propensity to do the opposite, a marked effort to abstain from writing about particularly vulgar or insensitive things. It has been, I think, a good policy so far. Certain experiences, however, simply beg to be shared. Especially when they involve restroom visits.

It was a routine procedure, using the urinal. One that really requires no thought. The restroom was empty, at least as far as I could tell. I didn't really expect anyone to be using it so late at night, though. It was a stuffy, mostly unventilated room. The air was especially thick, given the frequent visitation by Barton Springs swimmers. I approached the urinal and began. It began to dawn on me how exhausted I actually was. A long day after a long series of days. A man and his son entered and shuffled behind me, making their way to a stall. "Do you have to pee, daddy?" The boy asked. "Uh," the man said. "No, but I think you do?" They entered the stall and I looked around lazily.

I am not necessarily afraid of flying bugs, I just have a definite aversion to them. It's my belief that if a bug can fly, there is a high probability that it can do something like sting you. I also believe that if a bug can fly, it will always fly at you. And as soon as I saw it, it did. It was not a small bug by any means. It was a winged behemoth, buzzing an erratic course and struggling to keep its immense carapace in flight. It was also extremely close to me.

I suddenly had to devise and execute an expert plan that would allow me to finish my business and also prevent the giant bug from landing on me. Various options presented themselves in my head. I could smack the damned thing out of the air and continue in peace. I could put myself away and get away. Instead, I panicked. I jumped back away from the bug--and the urinal--with my hands flailing wildly trying to scare the bug away without touching it. Meanwhile, concurrent with the emergence of my survival instincts, the rest of me danced a panic dance around the bathroom.

The toilet flushed and the latch on the door opened. I froze for a moment as the door started to open. My eyes wide open. My hands in the air. My junk hanging out the front of my pants. I spun on my heel as the boy and his father exited the stall. After a brilliantly played coughing fit, I made myself presentable and washed my hands. "Hey," I said to the man, nodding my head. "How's it going?" "Not too bad," the man said, raising an eyebrow. Thoroughly pleased at the deft handling of the situation, I exited the restroom.

Some days just really dig into the low points.

Comments

Carolynn said…
What a horrifying experience.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot