Skip to main content

Dread one day at a time.

A friend of mine asked me if it would be weird to attend her wedding in four or five years. I didn't have to think very long to respond. In fact, as soon as I saw the word wedding I started to panic a little.

Growing up is such a scary prospect. And I know I've talked about it already--it just bothers me that much. And I know there's nothing to be done about it except go along with it as best you can. We are all growing up and some people just aren't very good at coping with it. Four or five years is not a very long time. High school was a blur that, in hindsight, felt more like a month than four years. I've been playing clarinet for over eight years, but that doesn't seem so long. So four or five years is going to be here tomorrow, and I will still not be ready for it.

Weddings are just weird. It's strange when it's composed of people you don't know, it's strange when it's people you do know, and it's insane when it's people you're friends with. Not that I've had to cope with that. Yet. But it's a milestone for life. Once you start thinking about stuff like that, you never really stop. You just magically become an adult who has to worry about grown up things like buying houses and cars and finances and taxes and biggest responsibility of them all--kids. Which opens up rooms and rooms full of other things to worry about.

And then when you actually do those things like get married and have kids? Oh God.

That's when you know your youth is gone. No more schooling. No more running around goofing off. You have to get a job and find someone and settle down and do all of these stressful things. And what if you don't get the job you wanted when you were still 'growing up'? The one you tried to study for? "That happens all the time," people say. "Most people don't have a job that was related to their degree." Was that because they failed at getting their dream job? Did they have to settle for something else? Or did they waste their education by doing something they didn't really like? Do we just look forward to diluting our dreams and settling for something lower on the list?

And you still have to worry about finding your life companion. Or settle for a numb existence of life-long solitude and crippling depression. Everybody's already making back-up plans. Plan B's for their what if's. Back-up plans because they expect to fail or because they want to fail so they can do what they really want? Life outside the bubble is a pretty damn scary thing to look forward to and a difficult thing to figure out. And all I can do about it is sit here and wring my hands.

And also wonder how everyone else is already figuring out weddings and marriages. I feel like I missed out on the "Plan Your Life" meeting or something. I guess I got the "Worry About Everything" memo instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur