Skip to main content

Dread one day at a time.

A friend of mine asked me if it would be weird to attend her wedding in four or five years. I didn't have to think very long to respond. In fact, as soon as I saw the word wedding I started to panic a little.

Growing up is such a scary prospect. And I know I've talked about it already--it just bothers me that much. And I know there's nothing to be done about it except go along with it as best you can. We are all growing up and some people just aren't very good at coping with it. Four or five years is not a very long time. High school was a blur that, in hindsight, felt more like a month than four years. I've been playing clarinet for over eight years, but that doesn't seem so long. So four or five years is going to be here tomorrow, and I will still not be ready for it.

Weddings are just weird. It's strange when it's composed of people you don't know, it's strange when it's people you do know, and it's insane when it's people you're friends with. Not that I've had to cope with that. Yet. But it's a milestone for life. Once you start thinking about stuff like that, you never really stop. You just magically become an adult who has to worry about grown up things like buying houses and cars and finances and taxes and biggest responsibility of them all--kids. Which opens up rooms and rooms full of other things to worry about.

And then when you actually do those things like get married and have kids? Oh God.

That's when you know your youth is gone. No more schooling. No more running around goofing off. You have to get a job and find someone and settle down and do all of these stressful things. And what if you don't get the job you wanted when you were still 'growing up'? The one you tried to study for? "That happens all the time," people say. "Most people don't have a job that was related to their degree." Was that because they failed at getting their dream job? Did they have to settle for something else? Or did they waste their education by doing something they didn't really like? Do we just look forward to diluting our dreams and settling for something lower on the list?

And you still have to worry about finding your life companion. Or settle for a numb existence of life-long solitude and crippling depression. Everybody's already making back-up plans. Plan B's for their what if's. Back-up plans because they expect to fail or because they want to fail so they can do what they really want? Life outside the bubble is a pretty damn scary thing to look forward to and a difficult thing to figure out. And all I can do about it is sit here and wring my hands.

And also wonder how everyone else is already figuring out weddings and marriages. I feel like I missed out on the "Plan Your Life" meeting or something. I guess I got the "Worry About Everything" memo instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...