Skip to main content

The knowing look and we nod silently.

A couple days ago I stopped my car just in time to let a crippled bird hoppity-hop his way across the road. He jumped up onto the curb and looked back at me as if to thank me for my consideration before I continued on my way. Then, as I drove home, a typical Westlake mom almost sideswiped me when she dramatically tried to jerk her car into my lane. I guess I can't get too upset at that since I was basically in her blind spot. Oh wait, it was actually the opposite. I was actually mostly in front of her--she was basically in my blind spot. She sped up in her lane and sort of made a halfhearted apologetic gesture with her bejeweled hand and I sped the rest of the way home, leaving her far behind.

Not to be blasphemous, but this is probably how Jesus felt when he did good things and everybody around him was an ass.

I really was excited to take these history classes over the summer. "History of Mexican Americans in the U.S." and "Main Current American Culture Since 1865." These are basically the first humanities classes I've taken at UT. It's weird to think about it, but I've actually only taken science and math so far. Actually, pretty much exclusively science up until this point. And the thing about science is that you never really get that human perspective. Science is sort of an ongoing quest for knowledge that is blanketed with anonymity. If you think about it, it's really just a presentation of facts, methods of finding those facts, and the possibility to discover more facts using new methods. There's never an individual context for it.

But there is in a humanities course, which is why I was looking forward to it. It's nice to step back and look at people as people and not organisms.

Unfortunately these professors had different plans for their classes than what I'd hoped for. Not to betray personal political beliefs or biases, but all these professors do is indoctrinate their students with liberal dogma. There is, essentially, no transmission of historical facts or information of knowledge beyond a general sentiment that if you hold political views that differ from the professors then you are some sort of uneducated, backwards piece of shit person who doesn't deserve to be alive. It's disgusting, really. If they slipped in their personal political opinions every once in a while then that's fine, so long as they acknowledge that it is their own. But when sizable portions of class time are taken out for them to rant about how dumb religion is or how stupid conservatives are it gets to be overbearingly ridiculous. At this point, I have no respect for these professors. Admittedly, though, I did not hold them in high regard before classes started.

It's not a problem that you see in science classes, which is probably why I quite naively skipped into class the first day. Science seems to transcend all of that bullshit. Even where political views could be incorporated into lectures or opinions over controversial topics could be suggested, I've never actually observed such transgressions in a science class. The professors respect their class too much, I guess. Or, I think, they simply realize that the scope of science will never be bounded by the humanities. They realize that the pursuit of knowledge draws them to the universal scale--far beyond the supposed cultural epicenters that these professors seem to think constitute the entire world.

It's a wonder to me that these people are actually employed as and call themselves teachers, what with their heads being so far up their asses.

Comments

Carolynn said…
Didn't you take History of Rock and Roll, bro?

Also, my Italian professor talked about Obama so much during the election that some kids in my class bought him an Obama bobble head doll. I think these professors think they are broadening our horizons when they just extol their personal opinions.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot