Skip to main content

The knowing look and we nod silently.

A couple days ago I stopped my car just in time to let a crippled bird hoppity-hop his way across the road. He jumped up onto the curb and looked back at me as if to thank me for my consideration before I continued on my way. Then, as I drove home, a typical Westlake mom almost sideswiped me when she dramatically tried to jerk her car into my lane. I guess I can't get too upset at that since I was basically in her blind spot. Oh wait, it was actually the opposite. I was actually mostly in front of her--she was basically in my blind spot. She sped up in her lane and sort of made a halfhearted apologetic gesture with her bejeweled hand and I sped the rest of the way home, leaving her far behind.

Not to be blasphemous, but this is probably how Jesus felt when he did good things and everybody around him was an ass.

I really was excited to take these history classes over the summer. "History of Mexican Americans in the U.S." and "Main Current American Culture Since 1865." These are basically the first humanities classes I've taken at UT. It's weird to think about it, but I've actually only taken science and math so far. Actually, pretty much exclusively science up until this point. And the thing about science is that you never really get that human perspective. Science is sort of an ongoing quest for knowledge that is blanketed with anonymity. If you think about it, it's really just a presentation of facts, methods of finding those facts, and the possibility to discover more facts using new methods. There's never an individual context for it.

But there is in a humanities course, which is why I was looking forward to it. It's nice to step back and look at people as people and not organisms.

Unfortunately these professors had different plans for their classes than what I'd hoped for. Not to betray personal political beliefs or biases, but all these professors do is indoctrinate their students with liberal dogma. There is, essentially, no transmission of historical facts or information of knowledge beyond a general sentiment that if you hold political views that differ from the professors then you are some sort of uneducated, backwards piece of shit person who doesn't deserve to be alive. It's disgusting, really. If they slipped in their personal political opinions every once in a while then that's fine, so long as they acknowledge that it is their own. But when sizable portions of class time are taken out for them to rant about how dumb religion is or how stupid conservatives are it gets to be overbearingly ridiculous. At this point, I have no respect for these professors. Admittedly, though, I did not hold them in high regard before classes started.

It's not a problem that you see in science classes, which is probably why I quite naively skipped into class the first day. Science seems to transcend all of that bullshit. Even where political views could be incorporated into lectures or opinions over controversial topics could be suggested, I've never actually observed such transgressions in a science class. The professors respect their class too much, I guess. Or, I think, they simply realize that the scope of science will never be bounded by the humanities. They realize that the pursuit of knowledge draws them to the universal scale--far beyond the supposed cultural epicenters that these professors seem to think constitute the entire world.

It's a wonder to me that these people are actually employed as and call themselves teachers, what with their heads being so far up their asses.

Comments

Carolynn said…
Didn't you take History of Rock and Roll, bro?

Also, my Italian professor talked about Obama so much during the election that some kids in my class bought him an Obama bobble head doll. I think these professors think they are broadening our horizons when they just extol their personal opinions.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...