Skip to main content

Light bulb full of anger.

I often struggle--grapple--with my temper. More often than I'd like to admit. Too often, probably. I've done a pretty good job keeping it in check over the years, I think, but every once in a while things get to be a bit much. Maybe it has something to do with faulty temperature regulation. Maybe you just wake up some days and everything in your head lines up such that you don't take shit from anybody the whole day. Or week. Or month. Uncontrolled tempers cause serious problems. This, I know. People tend not to respond well to you when burst into furious flames of unbridled, you know, fury.

I have to make a conscious effort every day to keep myself in line. Like yesterday. When my Mexican-American history professor canceled class via e-mail the morning of. When I got my genetics test back and found that they had failed to properly calculate my grade--an error which penalized me significantly--and then forced me to jump hoops to get it fixed. When my American culture professor droned on about how awful and arrogant the military is and how much he hated it for an hour and a half.

He actually equated the US to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. And everybody nodded, knowingly.

Then, when I was preparing to return to my car and go home after an utterly disappointing and frustrating day, I pulled off to the edge of the sidewalk to get my music playing and drink some water. During this span of two or three minutes where I didn't move from my position, a girl who was so engrossed in her texting almost walked straight into me on my very much parked bike. At the very edge of the sidewalk. "Oh my God." She said, offended. "Ass." She added as she continued to walk blindly down the sidewalk. As if I had been the one to walk straight into a parked bicycle. Incensed, I resumed my homeward trek.

The best part of the day came when I reached the intersection, a four-way stop. As I am not a douchebag bicyclist, I pulled to a stop at my stop sign. I deferred right of way to the car that had stopped a second or two before I had and then, as it passed, started across the street. I was, by all accounts and purposes, following the standard rules of the road. The woman who had been behind the other car, however, decided that since I was on a bicycle I did not count as an entity to which right of way could be deferred. And so she sped across the intersection and cut me off, an action which--in order to avoid a crash--required me to jerk my bike to a stop and her to actually swerve out a little bit. She was close enough that I could see the ratty tennis shoes that were sitting on the passenger seat. She shook her fist angrily at me and shouted some profanities that implied that I was at fault.

That was a tipping point as I flipped her the bird and tried, in vain, to chase her down the sidewalk to get her license plate. Unfortunately, she had already blown through the next stop sign and was long gone.

Days like that remind me why I'm such a bitter person. Days like that make me question why I bother trying to be a nice, compassionate person. Why I don't just have my guns blazing everywhere I go. It would, I think, save me a lot of headache in the end. People certainly deserve the worst, especially when it comes through in their own actions. And that is something I truly want to believe. I don't, because I can't, but that doesn't mean I can't wish. Especially on a day like that.

My Mexican American history class was canceled again today. Only this time he didn't send us a last minute e-mail. He let us show up and find out for ourselves. Today is starting to look pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot