Skip to main content

It seems like so long ago.

There are so many ways to answer one question. I've always been interested in seeing what kinds of responses I get from people. Different people. Different answers. One question.

"Why medicine?"

"It's a calling," Martha told me. "It's what I'm supposed to do."
"I don't know." Dr. Harkins said. "Seemed like a good idea."
"Because I like science," Dr. Ravula said. "I guess."
"Why not?" Jonathan said. "It's a good job. It's fun."
"I thought I could make a difference." Jerry said. "I know better now."
"I wanted to be a firefighter," Heather said. "But this is more fun."
"I don't know," Chris said. "Something to do."

"I can't imagine doing anything else." They said.

I don't have any clinicals left. I wish I did. I want to go back to the hospital. I want to go back to the emergency department. I want to suction disgusting mucous out of mouths and set up monitors. I want to take vitals and talk to patients. I want to give EKG printouts to doctors and laugh behind the nurse's station. I want to write up patient reports and cut things with my shears.

I want to help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Just the stirring in my soul.

I, really, kind of don't want to be here anymore. Not in the sense that I am dissatisfied with my life or my present situation--which isn't to say that I'm not , because I am in a way--but in the sense that I am dissatisfied with the lack of things happening. I keep looking around. Out the window of my room. Out the window of my car. Out the window of the living room. I want to be on the other side of that glass. That's where the action is. I need, desperately, an adventure. I need to go somewhere. See something. Anywhere, anything. I don't care where or what as long as it's happening. I want to travel so badly. Grab my backpack and my camera and walk away. I'd settle for going to the same state park I've been to a hundred times over. It's this routine I'm stuck in. Seeing the same shit every day, going through the same motions. I need to change it up, break things. I need some vitality--being cooped up is killing me. What I re

No, Holmes, no!

All I ever think about these days is how much I have to/want to study. I hope that's not how I have a good time, now. Would I rather go hang out with peeps or would I rather sit in and study? It is a difficult question to answer. Just a couple more days and then I can focus all my energy on the next greatest idea I've ever had: iconic detectives and sharks.