Skip to main content

I pump for you; pump, pump.

By the end of the summer session, the bus driver and I were on pretty friendly terms. When we got to my stop he would turn and say, "Alright then, brother. You take care now." And as I stepped off the bus I would turn and say, "Thanks a lot, man. You have a good one." And as he closed the doors he would say, "Will do. You stay out of the sun now, you hear?" And right before the double doors squeaked shut I would say, "Will do."

For a large number of nights spread out thickly over a large number of years I've watched my reflection in the glass of the front door as I made my final stalk down the hallway from the kitchen to the stairs. By the end of the hallway my posture would be fixed and, fully upright, I'd stride confidently around the banister and dart up the stairs in my ill-fitting pajama pants hanging off my hips. My reflection was always the same: a slim, cutting figure that betrayed tales of Peter Parker-like flexibility and boyish agility. And I mean cutting in the way that a toothpick might cut into a plank of wood.

That is, to say, embarrassingly.

So I, a few nights ago, finally tired of my body frame that had merely increased in height and not mass over the years, decided that I would start working out. When I'm excited about something, or when I'm at least pretending to be excited about something, I go at it with reckless abandon until I get distracted by something more exciting. Adding working out to my routine is not something I can get particularly excited about. It's the sort of thing where I need someone to pull me along through the gym as I kick and scream inside of my head and go along with everything complacently. And even when they point to the pull-up bars and say, "Now, try and do as many pull-ups as you possibly can." and struggling to finish the second one, I still go along with whatever they say. Because they clearly know something about working out that I don't. Willpower, I think.So when I say that I started working out, I mean that I closed the curtains, shut the door, and lifted a 25 pound dumbbell with both hands a couple times until I got tired and stopped. Then my arms got pretty sore and I've been told that's how you know your muscles are going to get bigger. I have to admit that I have my doubts. But then again, they know something about working out that I don't.

It's a different bus driver now. My days are too far between and too long when they arrive. I say, "Thanks, man." as I walk out the doors and he stares straight ahead and says, "...Okay." And then, as the doors close, I don't say anything and keep walking to my car.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well it wasn't that mean old bus driver who loves to purposefully either pass my stop or not let me off of the bus because of some obscure reason.

Also, sauce is weak.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...