Skip to main content

This is roughneck two-zero-one.

The airhorn sounded and for a brief moment I panicked. For a brief moment I was frozen in place. People scrambled around me, huffing and puffing. Diving behind whatever was closest. Sprinting forward. Gunfire crackled immediately from the distance. I pulled my gun to my chest and rushed for the nearest barricade. They had all gone further up the field from me. Closer to the battle. I peeked around the wooden wall. People sprinted and slid across the grass to get behind barriers and inside bunkers. I crouched down low and ran for the next barrier. And the next. When the barrels I was hiding behind stopped resonating with the plunking of enemy fire, I peeked out again.

And raised my gun, and fired.

Paintball was actually pretty damn fun. I admit, readily, that I wasn't particularly optimistic about the whole event when we started out. A large amount of college girls coupled with a significant number of clearly experienced players who had also decided to go paintballing that day. And then a couple who were clearly prepared to take out some bitches with their extreme guns. And then this Boba Fett-esque guy--who liked Ben Folds--standing off to the side looking menacing.

And of course, my fire team of protagonists.

As we loaded our weapons and prepared our gear, I sized up the opposition. "Don't take this seriously," Ashley said of the Women in Medicine paintball excursion. "They're just out here to have fun and goof off." "I know." I said. I thought back to the words of advice my dad had given me before I left.

"Remember: what's the most important thing?" He asked. I thought for a second. "...Have fun?" I asked. I knew better than that. "Winning." He said. "Keep your head down, gun up, move fast, and take every shot you get." "Alright," I said.

In the distance, gunfire erupted and women screamed. I could hear a man's voice yelling orders, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. I opened my eyes. Under a gray sky, the battle raged. I looked out the window of our bunker to see the dead filing down the path. I'd been in their numbers twice already, and had no intention of joining them a last time. A fallen teammate glanced over at us with somber eyes, his gun held in the air. "Let's push." John said. And with that, we left our fort and jumped into the riverbed.

Through the brush we could see our allies slowly converging on the last enemy stronghold, a series of forts at the top of the hill. We moved quickly over the rocks and through the weeds until we reached our teammates. We took a knee on opposite sides of the path and got briefed. Our leader fired a couple of shots and turned to us. "They're in those far buildings--" Shots rang out before he could finish, sending him diving for brush cover. In the distance I could see the would-be snipers, poking their guns over the top of their fort--blind firing. I crept forward and squeezed off suppressive fire. The man turned to us again. "You aren't going to kill anything from back here, move up!" But all I heard was: C'mon you apes, you wanna live forever?

And I put my head down, pulled my gun up, sprinted for the next barricade, and pulled the trigger.

Comments

Unknown said…
Brilliant!! :) Loved the advice from your dad. Wanna know if you made him proud, or got shot accidentally by your ur own team mates!!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...