Skip to main content

My life is my own.

I'm sure I've said it many times over, but shows like The Prisoner really resonate with me. Not the remake, of course, because it was garbage. The actual one. At its core, it was a single man against the system. Maintaining his individuality in the face of conforming to a homogeneous society. But more fundamental than a social struggle. It was the single man resisting the power that was both corrupt and absolute. Even though everybody else complied and tried to break him down, he still held to what he knew to be right and wrong.

And that stuck with me.

At the end of our conversation, whatever it had been about, my dad turned to me. "It's not something people like to acknowledge. The only rights you have are the ones you are willing to fight for." He pulled the truck to a stop and killed the engine. "You are a free man," he said. "Whether or not you realize it. Whether or not you choose to realize it." And with that, we went inside the house and went our separate ways.

I try, or at least go to great lengths, to abstain from political discourse in a public forum. It is a virtual absolute that, despite their emphatic assertions otherwise, people are just as closed-minded as the worst. We have opinions and we hold them so closely that any efforts to change our minds only serves to cement those beliefs. This is especially true with politics. Unconsciously, friends think differently of each other when they discover their political leanings. It's terrible, sure, but what can you do.

Except avoid it all together.

But there are certain things that have been happening recently, political in nature, that have drawn me increasingly further out of my neutral position. Notably, the advent of things like the local police department's "no refusal" policy, mandatory DUI/DWI checkpoints, and forced blood draws. I mean, sure, I hate drunk drivers as much as the next person but not to the extent that I'm going to consent to any of that shit. The police chief was quoted as saying, "My intent in the future is to make it so there is no such thing as a refusal." The people I've talked to don't seem to be concerned, though. I must be overreacting, I guess, because I don't have a problem with any of it.

They may have the power to make rules, but they don't have the authority to make me follow them--especially when they're wrong. It's not just some bullshit fantasy of heroic rebellion or some prepubescent pseudo-anarchist shit, it's a response to a fundamental violation of what I believe to be just. And the alarmed response to the people who are so uninterested. I'm not sure why people think we live in this "college bubble" where the real world doesn't touch us. That's the compliance I can't stand. That's the attitude that makes it illegal for us to refuse being subjected to a blood test at a police checkpoint.

That's the attitude that allows worse things to happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot