Skip to main content

Walking the dog.

I actually can get along quite well with little kids. And in a totally non-creepy way. It's got something to do with me not actually ever growing up completely, I guess. I'm still desperately clinging on to my childhood persona. And it lets me relate to younger people with much success. On of my friends talked to me at length about such things and we decided we were both at the advantage since we both were in the same situation in that regard.

It's why I have more fun drawing Ben the Box Boy than all the other stuff.

But I don't like kids when they go through my room and touch my things. Or worse, talk to me. My dad had invited some work friends over for the weekend, and one brought his son. As soon as he got inside the house he disappeared up the stairs. When I got upstairs I found him rifling through my bookshelf, toys, and closet. And playing with a yo-yo in my room. The second time I came upstairs he confronted me. "You have a lot of knives sitting around in your room." He said. "No," I replied. "I don't." He led me back into my room and showed me the knife collection that had apparently been left on my bookshelf. The camping knife from the top of the shelf, the pocket knife from my desk, the pocket knife from my backpack, the dive knife from the dive bag in the closet--all unsheathed and unfolded. It was beyond him, apparently, to figure out how to put them away.

Or, you know, to just not go through somebody's things in the first place. I find myself consistently disappointed in the parents I see these days who seem to be unable to control their children. Is it so hard to discipline your kids? To instill a sense of boundaries and proper behavior? This kid was going into 6th grade and he, for whatever reason, felt he had the right to go through everyone's personal belongings. We were apparently not the only family who fell victim to his marauding.

I put my hand on his shoulder and firmly guided him out of my room. "I'm not entirely sure what makes you think you're entitled to go through my things," I said softly. "But I can assure you that you are absolutely not. You are not welcome in my room, you are not welcome upstairs, you are not even welcome on the stairs." I continued guiding him down the stairwell as I spoke. "You can sit on the sofa in the living room for the remainder of your visit," I said. "And if you get up from it for any reason, we will have a serious problem. Am I understood?" He looked up at me, tears welling in his eyes. "Yes." He said. "Yes?" I asked. "Yes, sir." He said.

And, to his credit, he stayed on the sofa until he went home.

Comments

Carolynn said…
You're either going to be an awesome dad or a scary dad someday.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...