Skip to main content

Let's listen to Pearl Jam.

When I was in high school, I had one of the best teachers ever. Not just because he was a fantastic teacher but because he was also a fantastic person. I've almost certainly talked about him before, but it bears repeating. He shared stories from his life during our classes. Told us about the mistakes he had made. Like going to college with his then-girlfriend instead of his friends. They had broken up, leaving him at a college away from all his close friends. "The lesson," he told us, "is that sometimes, yeah, bad things happen. But these can end up helping you in the long run." He paused, then, and let it sink it for a moment. "I guess sometimes shitty situations turn out well. I ended up focusing on my work and doing well." Then he paused again. "Alright, you know what, just forget it. But remember that good things can happen, okay?"

"When you finish your assignment, turn it in on the schtool."

Just like he said would happen, the only things I remember from that class are the things he told us about life. Like balance. Finding balance. Arguably the most important thing he talked to us about and the thing I still struggle with. Work, play. Alone time, social time. Friends. Everything needs balancing. The second most important thing was something he said to me, specifically. Every day during class I would draw comics of historical events or whatever he was lecturing about at the time. He would read through them and approve. Toward the end of the year he called me to his desk.

"Gabe," he said. "A lot of teachers would tell you to stop drawing comics in class, but I am not a lot of teachers. You are good at this--at drawing comics--and you are only going to get better. I know college is a long way off, but I want you to promise me something. Seriously, I want you to promise me that you will keep drawing in college. Join the school newspaper and draw comics. You have to. You'd be great at it."

And he looked me in the eyes and nodded. "Okay, Mr. Ryals." I said.

A few weeks later he announced he was leaving the school, and soon after that he was gone. Impossible to contact ever again. Years later, I found him on Facebook. It was something he rarely checked or updated. It made sense considering he'd gotten married and had a kid and started a restaurant in a different city. It was something he said he'd always wanted to do. And there he was, doing as he said.

During a creative lull, I brainstormed ideas for a new comic. I'd gotten tired with other things. Random this and that. Medical jokes. It was time for something simple. And I thought about Mr. Ryals and the things he'd told us. His friend Sam the baker. His friend Ben the box man. The fake example name he used all the time, Frances Francis.

So I made Ben the Box Boy.

It had nothing to do with his friends or stories, but it was my way of saying "thank you, Mr. Ryals." After a couple years, he found it online. And liked it. What a cathartic experience.

Comments

Spen said…
Dude that's mindblowing!! Cathartic experience indeed........... Mr. Ryals. By the way, that was high school. And almost 7 years ago, wow...
Carolynn said…
You'd have to be completely illiterate not to like Ben the Box Boy.

That still sounds like an awesome experience though, dude.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot