Skip to main content

Let's listen to Pearl Jam.

When I was in high school, I had one of the best teachers ever. Not just because he was a fantastic teacher but because he was also a fantastic person. I've almost certainly talked about him before, but it bears repeating. He shared stories from his life during our classes. Told us about the mistakes he had made. Like going to college with his then-girlfriend instead of his friends. They had broken up, leaving him at a college away from all his close friends. "The lesson," he told us, "is that sometimes, yeah, bad things happen. But these can end up helping you in the long run." He paused, then, and let it sink it for a moment. "I guess sometimes shitty situations turn out well. I ended up focusing on my work and doing well." Then he paused again. "Alright, you know what, just forget it. But remember that good things can happen, okay?"

"When you finish your assignment, turn it in on the schtool."

Just like he said would happen, the only things I remember from that class are the things he told us about life. Like balance. Finding balance. Arguably the most important thing he talked to us about and the thing I still struggle with. Work, play. Alone time, social time. Friends. Everything needs balancing. The second most important thing was something he said to me, specifically. Every day during class I would draw comics of historical events or whatever he was lecturing about at the time. He would read through them and approve. Toward the end of the year he called me to his desk.

"Gabe," he said. "A lot of teachers would tell you to stop drawing comics in class, but I am not a lot of teachers. You are good at this--at drawing comics--and you are only going to get better. I know college is a long way off, but I want you to promise me something. Seriously, I want you to promise me that you will keep drawing in college. Join the school newspaper and draw comics. You have to. You'd be great at it."

And he looked me in the eyes and nodded. "Okay, Mr. Ryals." I said.

A few weeks later he announced he was leaving the school, and soon after that he was gone. Impossible to contact ever again. Years later, I found him on Facebook. It was something he rarely checked or updated. It made sense considering he'd gotten married and had a kid and started a restaurant in a different city. It was something he said he'd always wanted to do. And there he was, doing as he said.

During a creative lull, I brainstormed ideas for a new comic. I'd gotten tired with other things. Random this and that. Medical jokes. It was time for something simple. And I thought about Mr. Ryals and the things he'd told us. His friend Sam the baker. His friend Ben the box man. The fake example name he used all the time, Frances Francis.

So I made Ben the Box Boy.

It had nothing to do with his friends or stories, but it was my way of saying "thank you, Mr. Ryals." After a couple years, he found it online. And liked it. What a cathartic experience.

Comments

Spen said…
Dude that's mindblowing!! Cathartic experience indeed........... Mr. Ryals. By the way, that was high school. And almost 7 years ago, wow...
Carolynn said…
You'd have to be completely illiterate not to like Ben the Box Boy.

That still sounds like an awesome experience though, dude.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...