Skip to main content

A continued exercise in regret.

Sometimes the seasons make you think about things you feel bad about. I was thinking the other day. I thought about things I wish I'd said to people. Things I wish I hadn't said to people. Things I wish I'd done differently. Things could've been so much nicer. It's the steps you don't take that you don't notice until later, when it's too late. When you're too far down the trail to turn back. I wish I had kept in touch. I wish I hadn't been so distant. I wish I'd smiled more. What good is it to have those shared memories? To remember you in everything I touch? There's no point in caring about it now, I guess.

That's okay.

In middle school everyone started to split off into their groups. Everyone was so excited to finally fit under one label. All of the athletes could sit at their own table and talk about athlete things. All of the nerds sat at their own table to play Magic: The Gathering. All the counter-culture kids sat at their own table to complain about the establishment. The artists sat at their own table and looked down on everyone else. It went on. I sat at the most regular table I could. It was the catch-all table for people who fit into multiple categories. I did my best to be adaptable. Who wants a label?

Michael never fit in with the other guys. It had been like that since elementary school. We were never friends because we ran in different circles. I never made the effort, he didn't seem to mind. Michael had very feminine qualities about him. He had a dainty quality to his mannerisms and hung out exclusively with girls. He was concerned with fashion and gossip. He had a high-pitched voice.

Most importantly, he did ballet.

Being nice meant being nice to everyone, even the jerks. Nick was a jerk. A proud Redneck, Nick touted fierce Confederate pride, views, and equally vehement tendencies to insult others. I was nice to him. I think we were friends. He liked to make fun of Michael for doing ballet. I never said anything about it. Being associated with Nick meant being thought of as a jerk but it also meant he had my back.

One day we had to give an oral presentation in class about something we liked. Michael presented about ballet. Nick made fun of him the whole time. I smiled and stared out the window. In the band hall after school that day everyone was packing up their bags, trying to leave. I stood by the door, getting ready to walk out. Nick came up to me. "Hey, what do you want to do?" I did not want to hang out with him. In fact, I did not have a good time talking to him. I thought quickly for something that would get him to leave me alone without me jeopardizing our status. "Let's dance!" I said in a goofy, enthusiastic voice.

I had not noticed that Michael had walked in.

I turned and saw him standing in the doorway. He stared for a second and walked away in a huff. Nick burst out laughing and high-fived me. I forced a smile. I never talked to Michael after that. I'd never talked to him before that, actually. He ended up leaving soon after. He went to a ballet school in New York, or something. Follow your dreams, I guess.

I found him on Facebook and apologized for that day. I explained the context of the apology and everything. "I don't remember that at all." He said. I knew he wouldn't. I didn't care. It was cathartic. Useless gestures aren't always empty, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...