Skip to main content

Talking about eternal destiny.

"Do you know about the flood?" I pushed the newspaper into my bag and looked at him. "I'm sorry, what?" He stepped closer. "I asked if you knew about the flood." I looked around. "What flood?" "The flood." He said. He pointed to a shell in the limestone wall in front of us. "See this shell? This shell got here during a flood. All these shells in all these walls got into the rocks during a big flood. A flood that covered up a lot of land." Images and information flooded my mind like a slideshow on fast forward. Shells, rock, limestone, water, sea, millions of years. Deposition, sediment, cementation, calcification. "Really?" I said. "There are sea shells on top of Mt. Everest." He said. "Wow." I said.

And so we talked. We talked about religion. He told me about how he'd had a religious/spiritual awakening twelve years ago where, after an entire life of religious belief and Christian practice, he finally accepted Jesus Christ as his salvation. "I was saved twelve years ago," he said. "Before, I had thought I was going to heaven. Now, I know I am." He gave me a rundown of the gospel and read some Bible excerpts to me. "You can be saved right now." He told me. "We are all sinners; we all are born with sin. And you and I, we're more given to sin--to look at things we shouldn't. And, God forbid, if you were to die tomorrow carrying that sin with you, you'd go to hell. And unfortunately that choice isn't up to me. Right now your name is written in the books." "Oh." I said. He looked up at me as he handed me a pamphlet. "Do you want to be saved?" "Um," I said. "I'm not sure if I'm ready yet." "What's your name?" He asked.

"Gabriel."

I still don't know if religion is for me. Here I am, starting my third year in my quest for spiritual enlightenment. I've talked to people, been talked to, gone to church, tried to observe God's grace, and been around true believers both life-long and recently converted. I've also talked with atheists, aggressive or not, agnostics, once-believers, and devotees of science and logic. Most of the people I've met are decidedly in one camp. It's faith or faithless. For the most part there is no reconciliation between the two ideologies. And all of these interactions have left me completely confused. I just want inner peace and shit. Why does it have to be like enlisting in an army? But I guess I'm doing alright just wandering in the dead zone between the sides.

"Why do you waste so much time drawing cartoons?"
"Because I take some pride in my work.""Do you want to be a proud cartoonist working for $6 a day for the rest of your life?"
And I didn't say anything back. Aren't you proud of me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...