Skip to main content

It's like ray-hee-aiin.

As I rode my bike away from my class, the first thing that caught my eye was the enormous colored display of fetuses in various stages of development/abortion. As I got closer I could make out the details of the smaller pictures and, eventually, the text that accompanied the images.

Then I saw the other sign. "Warning: graphic images ahead."

The display blocked most of the street, forcing people to mill around beneath it. I came by after my classes were done to read what people had written on the signs marked "Free Speech Board." Most of the text detailed how disgusted the authors were by the pictures of aborted fetuses and mentioned how the images encouraged them to advocate abortion even more. I sat on my bike and read through both sides of the board, following the succession of thoughts indicated by the myriad of arrows.

I was about to leave when a girl near me decided she was fed up with what she had been reading. She huffed and puffed and grabbed a marker, scribbling madly across the white paper. When she finished her rant she stepped back and admired her handiwork. Then she started talking. She grabbed the closest ears and started hissing and growling about how only idiots could hold such an opinion as the one she read. She listed off why "their" beliefs were stupid and why hers were superior. She mentioned that they were stupid a few times, too. She went on and on until someone else--with the opposite view--jumped in.

They tangled and exchanged words and I stayed and listened until I had trouble keeping a straight face. I pushed off and rode slowly into the crowd. It reminded me of an episode of Home Movies. "Everybody's Entitled To My Opinion."Sometimes I wish people would keep their opinions to themselves. It certainly is nice that people have beliefs that they are willing to fight for, but there are certain rules and etiquette inherent to holding them. At least, I think there are.

There are forums where discussions can be held in an orderly manner. People just choose not to use them, I guess. They'd rather run outside and pick fights with everyone who sees the world differently from them. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way, but if people just kept their thoughts to themselves they wouldn't make stupid decisions or say stupid things when people--with the opposite view--got them upset. They wouldn't get into fights. They wouldn't look stupid in front of everyone with enough sense to shut up. We'd be a lot more civilized that way, I think.

But if we didn't voice our opinions, then we'd never advance ourselves. We'd just sit there and stagnate because nobody would be brave enough--or stupid enough--to say what they thought. And nobody would be brave enough--or stupid enough--to fight them on it. So we'll just keep going along as we are. Like squabbling idiots.

That's okay, I guess.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Like you said, you can never make advancements until someone challenges the norm.

But there are better ways to go about it.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...