Skip to main content

Maybe you're ready for some advanced techniques.

"You still have all of those?" Twelve colored belts divided between two hanging racks. "Yeah," I said. "They mean something." I glanced over at the belts. They were covered in dust and tucked behind the door. "To me." I added.

My earliest memory of martial arts was from watching Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. I used to watch the first episode on VHS over and over again. There was a scene where Jason is leading a karate class. Bulk and Skull walk over to him and ask him to show them how to beat people up. Eventually Bulk declares that he can do anything Jason can--and better. So Jason does a bunch of karate moves and Bulk tries to copy them and eventually fails. The move that gets him is the 'tornado kick.' I fondly remember rewinding and rewatching Jason do that kick and then trying to do it myself. Eventually, I learned how to do it. No couch pillow could handle the force of my tornado kick.Jason was actually the reason I insisted on wearing red tank tops everywhere for the longest time.

A few years later my dad decided to enroll me in a local Tae Kwon Do summer camp. It was some kind of offer the school had set up to encourage people to actually join the program. It was a waste of time. We got into our uniforms and watched Power Rangers. "See if you can copy some of those moves." The instructor suggested. I was not there for much longer.

The experience left me suspicious of martial arts schools in general as I--in my prepubescent wisdom--assumed that all martial arts schools watched the various Power Ranger movies instead of learning actual techniques.

Several years after that I was dragged into joining another Tae Kwon Do program. The first day, the instructors were teaching me some basic techniques like blocks and punches. I was young and theatrical (read: stupid) and flinched dramatically when they threw punches at me. "We don't do that here," they said. "If you goof off, someone could get hurt. Take this seriously." And I did.

It wasn't about the defensive techniques or the fighting. It wasn't about the sparring. It was the art. The forms and the techniques we did on our own. That was what drew me in. It took focus. It was meditative. I was calm and collected. Centered. Then there was the teaching. It was the best thing I'd ever been forced into doing.

It had been a good couple of years since I'd done any kind of martial art when I signed up for Judo. Being in a martial art again is nice, but I've been thinking pretty hard about the whole thing. I do not like Judo that much. It's a very physical sport. Grapples and throws and whatnot. I knew that coming in, but I didn't think I would miss the artistic aspect so much.

Just a couple more months, I guess.

Comments

Cam said…
I need to join martial arts again too...my belts are all dusty as well. : s
But I am proud I have a 2nd degree.
Spen said…
Dude I had to read the book "The 47 Ronin Story" for this history class. Dunno if you've heard of it but I managed to finish it in like 4 hours last night (partly out of necessity and partly because it was legitimacies). True story about samurai.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot