Skip to main content

Scary, spooky, who cares.

For the past few days I've been thinking about scary things. A lot. Because it's fun. Ghosts and monsters and all of those types of things. The paranormal really pushes my buttons. Then I drove to the store and had a terrible time.

I kept seeing things out of the corners of my eyes that weren't really there. Faces in the windows when I backed out of the driveway. Dogs running into the road that never showed up in my headlights. I heard my phone ringing but it wasn't. There were voices outside of my car when there wasn't anyone around.

I'll admit this: I get spooked easily, given the proper atmosphere. Or even just regularly. If I think about things, I'll get spooked.

Excluding nightmares, I can only think of one time I've truly been scared. There is a difference between being spooked and scared, I think. We were SCUBA diving in Cozumel, once. We went through some kind of cave-like structure in single file. I was having trouble staying down because I didn't have enough weight on my belt. The next thing I knew, a fin was in my face and my regulator left my mouth.

During certification, they teach you how to deal with situations like that. Stay calm. Exhale steadily. Reach back and swing your arm around you. Collect your regulator, replace it in your mouth, clear it. Resume respirations. It's different when you do that exercise sitting at the bottom of a lake with your dive instructor sitting across from you with an extra regulator in hand.

I reached back and pulled my hand through water. Nothing. Then I ran out of air to exhale. I looked up at the surface. It was kind of far away. Don't panic, I thought. I reached back again, unsuccessfully. Shit! Fuck! Oh fuck! I thought. Oh God. I am going to drown like an idiot in Cozumel.

Someone pulled me out of the cave and into open water. A regulator was thrust into my hand and I took deep breaths. Dry air never felt better. It was the guide. He shook me and spun me around to face him. I threw him a thumbs up. Oh shit, I thought. That means 'I want to go up.' I gave him an 'okay' sign. I don't want to go up. I meant I was okay.

We laughed about it later, but it's hard to forget that feeling of panic. I came away from the experience shaken up but more appreciative of, you know, not being dead.

Then I got lost and surfaced like an idiot. Also my weight belt fell off.

Comments

Spen said…
lol dude was this when we were in cozumel together? That's intense.
Gabe said…
Yeah man! Don't you remember? It was the first legit dive we did on that trip.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...