Skip to main content

That's how it goes, I guess.

My friend wrote some music. Lyrics for songs he wanted to play with his band. He seemed pretty excited when he showed them to me. I got excited. I remember the first real song I wrote.

Spencer sent me the chords over instant messenger. Dm, Dm7, G, Gm. I can't forget that progression. I played them on my guitar. I remember it clearly. My desk was in the corner near the door. I strummed on my old guitar. It felt so awkward. I tried to think of words. Nothing came to mind. I got frustrated and stopped. A few hours later I sat down and just wrote. Write what you know, they always say. So I tried. I was excited to have a song. We recorded ourselves playing various tracks and plastered it all together in a mashed up song. A mashed up, finished song. I still get embarrassed when I hear it in my head. It was my first song. A shot in the dark. It was cliche, but it was mine. My accomplishment. I was proud, for a while. And so was he. I liked what he had written.

But the world tends to be a terrible place.

He posted his songs up but removed them almost as quickly. People hate to see each other succeed. They hate seeing other people get things done. Seeing them work hard. Seeing them get results. We've been bred to be bitter. And cynical. And jealous. We hate each other because we're jealous that someone else is going to do something better than us. And we're afraid to try. The person that steps up gets shot down for trying. It's a terrible world that we live in. A terrible world full of terrible, nasty people that will never get along.

Happy Earth day, I guess.

Comments

Ashley said…
I'd like to hear them.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...