Skip to main content

Fear is the mind-killer.

I played some music today. It was alright. I got to use my rocking guitar. It was just the two of us; he played the drums. We sat down and wrote out a song and talked about being a band and stuff. It was just alright. It didn't really go anywhere. Or, it did, but it wasn't quite where I wanted it to go. I might have been expecting too much when I went in, but there was no click. We weren't in sync. It was alright, but it wasn't like it used to be. Like I'm used to.

That's how it goes, I guess.

I've been thinking lately about the things that make me afraid. It's a long list, indeed. I don't know why I'm scared of most of them. That seems kind of silly. To be afraid of something without having any good reason to be afraid. So I won't be afraid of them anymore. I won't be afraid of the things on my list. Except for things like spiders and other buggy bugs.

I found a soccer shirt of mine from second grade. I recognized the color and pattern immediately. I've never owned another shirt that looked like it. I can still fit in it. I remember when it billowed around my body. It doesn't really do that anymore.

But it's been twelve years since I wore it and my arms still don't fill out the sleeves. That's kind of depressing.

Comments

Cam said…
I have a "Save the Dolphins" t-shirt from kindergarten. It used to be like a robe on me. Now, it fits fine.
Spen said…
Dude did you get an electric? Should I have known that?
Gabe said…
Nah dude, I was using my solid body acoustic--I never really get to use it!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...