Skip to main content

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time.

"The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society."

He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit.

There have been a lot of little kids rampaging through campus this week. I didn't really pay any attention until somebody pointed out the mobs of highlighter shirts roaming the streets and sidewalks. I guess they wanted to dangle the carrot of success in front of kids early. Some people put together a little carnival in front of the gym, too. A ball pit, some inflatable bounce houses and some other things. Just people doing nice things.

But, instead, we see through the charade. We see a generation of guilty parents and teacher taunting a generation of apathetic, underachieving students with an illusory life of success. We see a generation of underachieving college students reaching out to the next generation of hopeless students in an effort to look like they actually care about somebody other than themselves. The elementary school kids leave with ideas and dreams about the future they'll never aspire to. They leave with unreasonable ideas about college--a carrot that statistics say they'll never taste.

That can't be right though, can it? That feels like a wrong assessment. Even I'm not so hopelessly misanthropic that I actually believe any of that. Those teachers are struggling against a defeatist culture that no longer believes in people. Those college students are struggling to reach out and do something for someone other than themselves out of a sense of community. And, maybe most importantly, those elementary school students are starting to dream about the things they could grow up and do. Things that they could aspire to accomplish. People they could aspire to be. Reasons to justify being alive.

Who the hell are we to berate other people for trying? They're actually getting out there and doing things. What do we do? Make snide comments from the other side of the window and snicker about how shitty everybody else is. When I was a little kid, people took me to a lot of different places and told me a lot of different things. They told me that I could do anything I wanted with my life. Somewhere, somebody is telling those kids the same thing. Maybe they don't realize it now, but they will: it's true. And they deserve a chance and the benefit of the doubt, at least.

Even if not a single one of those worthless little miscreants ever aspires to anything more than a sordid life of generally being a piece of shit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
stop crying your heart out and get some exercise, instead. Moron!
Collette Thomas said…
Interesting blog. Yes, there's lots of cynicism in today's society. Sometimes it amazes me especially with those who are employed, are living the American dream and haven't quite been thrown some of the curve balls that can be thrown big enough to push you off track from the "Dream." I think actually being thrown off track only leads to an appreciation of what is and what could be. My cynicism fell to an all time low when after losing jobs, parents, and husband I now appreciate the sun rising each and every day. Collette Thomas
Carolynn said…
Maybe you can scare these kiddos straight the next time they bother you at the mall.

Also, good blag, bro.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

No, Holmes, no!

All I ever think about these days is how much I have to/want to study. I hope that's not how I have a good time, now. Would I rather go hang out with peeps or would I rather sit in and study? It is a difficult question to answer. Just a couple more days and then I can focus all my energy on the next greatest idea I've ever had: iconic detectives and sharks.