Skip to main content

What is the deal down there, anyways.

It's bizarre, I think, to realize something like that. To sit there eating my blueberry pancakes and suddenly come to that realization. I just watched a family fall apart. I saw a family completely disintegrate over the course of a week. My dad told me my mom and her sister are like gasoline and fire. "They're just waiting." And now, with no parental ties to keep them together, all of the siblings split. A weekend was all it took for that part. My mom and my aunt won't ever speak again. And my uncle?My uncle spent most of his best years taking care of his parents--my grandparents. My mom moved out of state, my aunt moved to a different city, but he stayed and lived with both of them. He took care of his mom when she got sick with her cancers and degenerative addictions and whatnot. His hair, what's left of it, is completely gray. He married and divorced once, before he dropped everything to take care of his parents. He's still single. When his mom died, he went nearly catatonic for a few days. Just completely emotionally devastated. Then, his dad died. And now he's just completely, well, broken.

Everybody felt bad for him. I felt bad for him. My dad felt bad for him.And then my dad came back from California.

I've learned, from my many years of experience, that there's a dark side to everything. Everything is two-faced. There's the decoy and the truth. And the truth is never the face you like to see. Knowing that is why I have a hard time investing myself completely in anything. Some people call that cynical.

The truth to this story is that maybe my uncle isn't quite so deserving of pity. The house is filled to the brim with filth and garbage. He hasn't had a job in years and hasn't tried particularly hard to find one. He actually didn't really take care of anybody, he just watched movies all day. And the best part--my favorite reveal--he asked his dad for money. His dad, a 70-something retiree slowly dying of cancer, heart disease, and monetary hemorrhaging. My dad came back from spending a weekend with him and told me the man is headed straight for a homeless shelter. "There's just nothing else you can do with someone like him."

I mean, the guy is only, like, 40. I hope I don't get relegated to a homeless shelter when I'm his age. I hope I actually manage to do something with my life. I hope I grow up and do good things. I hope I grow old and leave behind a book of all the great things I did. I hope I die and everybody goes to my funeral remembering something nice I did for them. And I hope that the flip side to it all, the big reveal, is that I actually did all of it.

And I hope that whatever family I leave behind doesn't just completely fall apart as soon as I shut my eyes.I think people are a little put off that I'm not upset about my grandparents dying. I am absolutely okay with cracking jokes about it, too. I mean, it happens. What are you going to do, cry about it? Grandparents die every day. It can't always be somebody else's grandparents every time. I'm not that special. That's just how it goes. I'm not upset or sad or emotionally moved in any way. I'm just tired. I just want to sleep it off. That sounds pretty nice.

I know a couple of people in California who are sleeping it off right now, actually. Lucky.

Comments

Carolynn said…
That's as valid a response as anything.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot