Skip to main content

No, it's just a name I use instead of my real name.

I saw The Hurt Locker the other day. I actually quite enjoyed it. I was worried that the whole we don't film movies with tripods anymore and we like fast zooms would ruin it for me, but it wasn't to the point where I had to close my eyes or leave for a few minutes to steady myself. Like District 9 did. But either way, the last bit really stuck with me. He tells his son that you start life loving everything around you, completely fascinated by everything. And then, he continues, when you grow up you find out you love fewer things until you realize maybe you only love one or two things.

Or maybe just one thing.

I'm finally starting to figure things out. I, near the end of my junior year in college, have finally declared a major. No longer am I an undeclared third-year geoscience student. No, I am officially a general geology student going for a Bachelor's of Science. I even know how long it'll take me to graduate from college. I'm actually going to graduate. I actually know it's in the near future, rather. No longer am I simply drifting from semester to semester and signing up for whichever classes I think are good. I have a plan. I'm going somewhere, finally.

It's sort of a relief, but sort of not.

I mean, it's great to have that peace of mind. I'm excited. But the real world is coming up soon afterward. And by the real world, I mean hopefully medical school and the things that entails. The things that I've put precious little thought into. MCATs and applications and all kinds of things that everybody else seems to be on top of. It's not off in the distant future anymore. It's two years from now. I know how quickly two years can go. Hell, three years have past since I walked onto campus. That's crazy.

I don't know if I'm ready for all of that.

I think I want to do medical school through the military. Aside from it seeming like a very, very reasonable route in terms of finance and experience, it's sort of something I want to do. I guess I come from a military family. My dad and my grandfathers all have ties to it. So it's always been there in the back of mind as, well, something. Certainly not an obligation, certainly not a passion, but just sitting there. I don't necessarily think of military service as an inherently good or bad thing like some people tend to, I just sort of think of it.

It's sort of a call, somewhere inside of me.

I think I have a sense of duty, which is what draws me to medicine and makes me consider military service. One of those I ought to do this kind of things. I don't think it's out of a sense of patriotism. I'm pretty sure that trait has been successfully bred out of me by society. I think it's more of a somebody is going to have to do this and since nobody else wants to, I will sort of thing. I feel like that a lot. But also, I want to do something exciting. Doing those clinicals for the EMT course really stuck with me. The excitement of jumping out of the ambulance with a bag on my shoulder knowing that I was running straight into a real emergency situation. The excitement of running into the crash room as everyone scrambled around me and my EKG cart. The excitement of walking into five different rooms and finding five different people with five different problems.

That happened a year and a half ago and I still get excited remembering it. It was a rush. It was scary and exciting and I got such an adrenaline rush out of all of it. It was an adventure. And I am a sucker for adventures and excitement. Which also makes me think about military service.

And it kind of worries me. Like, am I thinking about military service because I'm an adult thinking critically about the most efficient route to a career in medicine or am I hoping to get an adventure out of it? If I go into the military, even as a doctor, I'll probably get deployed. Sometimes people have to kill other people when they get deployed. Sometimes people watch their friends get killed when they get deployed. I don't want to get excited about that. I don't want to figure out I get an adrenaline rush out of killing somebody. I know it isn't likely that a doctor would end up in a situation like that, but what I don't become a doctor and end up as a medic? A combat medic might end up in a situation like that.

The idea scares me, but not enough to actually deter me. And that scares me. I hope I'm planning my life around things because they are good things and not because I want to be amused.

I guess I'm worried that I might not know what it is in life I actually love.

Comments

Carolynn said…
I dunno, broseph. As an army brat myself, I don't know if that's the way to go. The army is a good place if you don't feel like you've got the right direction and inspiration, though. I gotta say, I've got my prejudices because it encompassed most of my life. It is a good way to pay for things too.

Also, glad to hear you've declared your major. It's always nice to be able to see the plan, at least as far as you can. Good job bro!

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot