Skip to main content

While the record goes 'round.

It feels a lot like I'm losing my struggle against every day. All my time just sort of disappears and I never really feel like doing anything. Like drawing or writing. And those are things I need to do. Also, studying. The year is just catching up to me, I guess. I can feel it in my increasingly slouchier posture. I thought I already fixed that, too.

Just a few more weeks.

I tried to pee the other day, but I had a problem. I couldn't find the fly to my boxers. So I searched, frantically, to find it. It's certainly normal for it to shift one way or the other during the day, but I couldn't find it. Oh no, I panicked. My boxers don't have a fly anymore. In the end I had to pull everything down to go about my urgent business. I later found out that I had been wearing them backwards the whole day. And I realized something.

If you take something for granted long enough, you are bound for disappointment.

Clothing yourself is a lot like maintaining a relationship. You have to be active about it. You have to choose a complementary ensemble. Things have to fit together stylistically. They have to fit you. Your clothes have to be appropriate for whatever it is you're doing. It's easy to be predictable. Wear the same wardrobe all the time. Fall into a routine. Continue going about your business with glassy-eyed contentment. But that is not a mélange that screams success. The important thing is that you have to be aware of what you're doing when you put clothes on your body. Because if you don't, they'll break up with you.

And by break up with you, I mean it was not a very good analogy.

I overheard a couple breaking up next door the other day. They were both sobbing and pleading with each other. At least, she was pleading with him. I couldn't understand anything he said because it was just unintelligible sobbing at different pitches. I even opened the door to improve my eavesdropping experience and still couldn't understand what he was bawling about. She was apologizing for cheating on him more than once and also upset because he had also cheated on her. Her main point of contention was that she had cheated on him once, told him, and recently cheated on him again with a similarly alacritous response while he had secretly cheated on her between those two incidents but only recently admitted his transgressions. From her incredulous and desperate responses, I was able to gather that he was breaking up with her.

Outside of Wendy's the other day, I came across another couple in the middle of a tearful breakup. Here I mean that he was crying. But he was also trying really hard not to cry. Also, he was trying to maintain his posture so that people wouldn't be able to notice his please don't break up with me slouch. So we got to see his please don't notice my 'please don't break up with me slouch' slouch. From her belongings I assume she had just come from Relay for Life and had been stopped by her recent ex-boyfriend desperately trying to salvage a relationship that had obviously fizzled out. After some pleading and begging and sniffling, she agreed to let him come into Wendy's with her and make a case supporting the reestablishment of their relationship. She made some snide comments about him to her friend as they ordered and smiled condescendingly when he choked out a teary-eyed list of reasons why it would work out.

And, of course, you know. It was over.

Comments

Carolynn said…
It's funny, the way things like that go.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur