Skip to main content

It's the thought that counts.

Lately I've been tempted to go through and mend all my broken friendships. I guess it's a seasonal thing. "Hello," I'd say to people. "I have made some bad decisions, some possibly related to our ex-friendship. Now I'll try to fix those, I guess." I suspect that some of those people would be displeased to hear those words from me.

That's okay. Maybe some of them forgot already. That would save me a lot of effort, I suppose. But it wouldn't help with the temptation. Oh well.Clearly I spend my time wisely. Idea courtesy of Terrible Crossover Fan Fiction Idea Generator.

My friend decided that he's going to be more of a gentleman. He woke up and realized that the world doesn't have very many of those types of people anymore. I agree with him. Now he's making a conscious effort to be a better person.

I think I'll join him. Because he's right: the world is full of self-serving, self-absorbed idiots. We need less people to stand around and complain about everything and more people to get up and fix things. I'm going to be a less cynical person. That probably won't fix anything.

That's okay.

I mean, that will solve everything. Forever.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know that it's that easy to just say 'I'm not going to be a cynical person'. It's one thing to be a gentleman and be polite; it's an entirely different ordeal to change the way you see things. Just because you don't voice something doesn't mean you aren't still thinking it.

Not trying to be a downer, but that kind of thing takes a lot of work. You have to constantly be on guard for negative thoughts, and thoughts aren't easy things to monitor.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a geologist, not an alcoholic.

I thought I had seen people drink before. Hell, I thought that I had drank before. But, clearly, I thought wrong on both of those counts. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason to justify all of the drinking that transpired down there last week. There was no rhyme or reason to it, it just was. Field work just makes a man thirsty. Taking this class was easily one of the best things I've ever done. We worked hard every day out in the field. Wake up at 7, leave the beach house by 8, hit the water by 9. My first three field days were in service on the R/V Acadiana , a 58 foot vessel that towed the CHIRP fish , the air gun, and the streamer to measure all the seismic data--looking at the subsurface of the seafloor we drove over. My second ship was the R/V Itasca using the multibeam , sidescan , and grab sampler --getting seafloor surface bathymetry. They were long, exhausting days and we returned to the docks around 6 or 7 every evening. And then, drinking. So much ...

The goodest, even.

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving the research campus with my friend to go home, a woman approached me with her bike. "Excuse me," she said. "By any chance, are you headed that way?" She pointed off in the general direction that was the only way to leave campus. "Why yes." I said. "If it's not too much to ask," she started. "Because my bicycle has a flat tire--" "Sure." I said. "We can fit your bike in here, too." And with that, we drove a Belgian woman home. She told us about her family back in Belgium and how we have a better education system here and we're more bike friendly than Europe and how she misses her family and Skypes with them in the evenings. We dropped her off and continued on our original route. Later, as I entered the final stretch of my homeward journey, I saw a large something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was a large turtle. I quickly pulled off into the should...

Finger pointing good.

When I was on the boat doing science at Galveston, I saw a lot of dolphins. It was a significant experience for me because I have never actually seen a wild dolphin in real life before. It was sort of a dream come true. And in the middle of the shipping channel, no less. They really are amazing animals. It really kills me to realize I'll probably never see dolphins in Galveston again because of what happened to the Gulf. What is happening to the Gulf. It really is a tragedy. On a much lighter note, I started this Insanity workout program and it was so intense that I threw up before I finished the first workout. That is a good sign, I think. It is certainly an incentive to complete the entire thing. Anything that makes you feel that bad so quickly must be good for you.