Skip to main content

It's called a beat.

If I had to pick a sin to represent myself and was unable to pick wrath, I would probably have to pick pride. When it comes to things that I consider myself good at--passionate about, even--I have a tendency to, well, consider myself pretty good at them. Like filmmaking. I hate having to share my creative outlet with other people. I just can't deal with it. I can't share the writing. I can't share the direction. I can't share the editing. It's in my head! How can they possibly expect to make something that's in my head?

How can they expect to improve on my ideas?

And so things go. Despite the complications and the stress and the sleep deprivation, the movie got finished. It got finished and turned in and I'm not super proud of it, but it's done. And my day ended after 36 hours. I think I'm going to just make movies on my own. On my own time. If I ever do, again.

My geology contest actually went surprisingly well. Especially for how I felt during the whole thing. It was designed so that our groups would create a project idea that would try to figure out how to go about looking for signs of previous intelligent life on Earth and pitch it to a judging pane--which would theoretically be giving us funding for the project. I completely misunderstood the prompt and point of the whole thing and wrote down the most random nonsense on my notes. So when my group got together, they all started talking about scientific things and coming up with hypotheses and theories and such and somewhere in the middle of it I said, "Guys, what if dinosaurs were really fucking smart?"

And so began a long explanation of my idea. Which was as follows.

Despite being very small, dinosaur brains were extremely dense--which made them unfathomably intelligent. They had an advanced society with highly developed social and political hierarchies and they were extremely environment-aware. Very eco-friendly. Their primary source of fuel was methane gas, which they captured from their own bodies and stored at enormous processing facilities around the world with the largest facility located on the Yucatan Peninsula. Global climate change through time was actually cause by them altering the climate through their scientific experiments and current changes in climate are due to their climate changing machines which are located deep in the Earth. Mass extinctions were actually mass suicides of Dinosaurian religious sects that became depressed at what they knew to be an inevitable decline in the quality of their society and culture. During efforts to colonize space, the dinosaurs created and mastered interstellar travel. Unfortunately, during one mission, an experimental craft ignited the methane storage facility--which doubled as a scientific facility--which exploded and killed all the dinosaurs on Earth and propelled the ship into space. The ship spent millions of years returning to Earth to find their families dead and also Mayan civilization. The Mayans recorded the return in their glyphs and art which we wrongly interpreted as aliens. And we wrongly interpreted the crater on the Yucatan as an asteroid hit, but it was an explosion.

So we presented this to the panel of faculty and almost won.And I am still fucking exhausted.

Comments

Spen said…
hahaha that's brilliant...did you present it with the same comic tone or..?
Gabe said…
We presented it as fact, which threw the professors off. It was excellent.
Carolynn said…
You should do a short comic about intelligent dinosaurs. Possibly for our future zine. How bout it?

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot