Skip to main content

The most wonderful time.

People are stupid. And so are children. Especially the children of stupid people. I decided to do some shopping today. I got some jeans and a nice button up shirt. The sleeves are a little shorter than I'd like, but the overall fit is so wicked that I couldn't say no. And, I mean, come on: it's black. So later in the day when I had gotten my clothes and my books, I went over to the nearby sporting goods store.

You know, to look around.

A horde of children had taken it upon themselves to take down all of the scooters and tricycles and made the store into a giant circuit race. I passed an employee and cocked an eyebrow. "I guess we get double duty as baby sitters." He said. The children weaved in and out of the sections and aisles, forcing aside soccer moms and football dads and almost-sorority girls. But not me. I stood my ground in the middle of the aisle as I compared the sizes of gloves.

And I'm always in a bad mood.

"Um, excuse me." The boy said. He sounded offended. "Can you move?" He was clearly the ringleader. The pied-piper atop his big wheel. "We're trying to ride through here." I turned slowly and looked down at them, the train of twelve-year-old children riding on all variations of scooters. "What the hell do you think you're doing? Riding all up and down the store like maniacs?" Maybe it was my wildly appropriate opening statement. Maybe it was my stern expression acquired through years of watching Batman cartoons and Clint Eastwood movies.

But some of them immediately put the scooters back into their appropriate places and left.

"We're riding in the store." The ringleader said smartly. "We're allowed to. They let us." He tried to push by me, but his back wheel got caught on my foot. "But should you?" I asked. The remaining children looked hesitantly at each other. Clearly they had consciences. But the leader pushed on, getting around my foot. "I don't care. We can." With that, he was off. And the others followed him tentatively, as if afraid to incur my wrath.

I glanced around the store and singled out a dad who would periodically turn and watch the children cruise by with a smile. Mine. I approached him. "Excuse me sir," I said. "Are you the father of the child burning tracks across the store?" He turned to face me, abandoning the clearance rack. "Uh, yes." He said. "Well then I'm expecting an apology from you since your son isn't quite mature enough to handle it." He looked confused. "I'm sorry, I, uh..." I pointed down at my foot. "He ran over my foot when he was speeding recklessly down the aisle." "Oh I'm so sorry," he said. "I just, you know, kids right?" I narrowed my eyes at him and went back to perusing the selection. And the kids came back.

Strike two.

I stepped out into their path and stopped the ringleader for the second time. "Hey!" He said. "I already told you we can do whatever we want!" I grabbed the handlebars of his big wheel. "Listen to what I'm saying you spoiled piece of shit. I'm plain clothed security. You understand what that means?" His eyes went wide and he nodded. "This is your second warning. If I have to stop you again then I'm going to kick your dumb ass out of the store and bar you from ever coming back. And then I'm going to write you a citation for repeatedly disturbing the peace and it's going to go on your permanent record. Still think you can do whatever you want?"

The boy shook his head, long ago abandoned by his peers.

"Now put this back and behave, or I'm coming after you." He left in a hurry, and I was free to shop in peace again. As I stood in the aisle, an employee came up to me. "How are you doing today, sir?" He asked. "Not great." I told him. He obviously didn't know how to respond. "See," I went on. "You need to change your policy where you let spoiled little kids tear up your store and disturb the other shoppers. Right now I am very much unimpressed." "Oh." He said. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah." I said, leaving.

What's the deal with people raising shitty kids? Like, is it really that hard to instill at least a moderate sense of propriety and respect in them? Is it really so hard to discipline them? This is the second time I've really had a big problem with kids acting like little shits and finding out that their parents are completely worthless as parents. Come on, people! Beat your kids or something! Or hire me to do it!

Also, I am most definitely in the mood for Christmas.

Comments

Carolynn said…
This sporting goods store is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The aisles are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their quickness and wanton disregard for others will foam up about their waists and all the sales associates and parents will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

--Gabe
Cam said…
Wow. Fuck that kid. Just like the one that was starring at me last year at a basketball game.

Popular posts from this blog

You ended weak, but you started.

This is something I feel very strongly about. So strong are my emotions about it, in fact, that I have haphazardly drafted this singular post about it on the fly. I hope, for your sake, that you are seated as I deal with this incredibly important social issue and say controversial things--the likes of which give women the vapors. Shorts. I fucking hate shorts. I hate them because you can't look cool in them. Think about it. Have you ever seen an action hero save the world wearing shorts? No. Action heroes wear pants. Men wear pants. People who save the world wear pants. Pants, pants, pants. Nobody wears shorts excepts, like, stoners, lazy guys, and dudes. And bros. Those archetypes do not do adventurous things. Indiana Jones? Pants. Robocop? Pants. Flapjack? Pants. Bear Grylls? Pants. Australian stereotypes? Shorts. Australia really likes to try to censor their internet content. That doesn't sound so awesome and/or manly to me. To prove my conclusion that shorts a

Pseudo-science (like psych).

I consider myself a man of science. I try to approach problems and deal with them logically, using observations previously recorded to handle new problems. So of course my interest was piqued when someone I knew posited that men are needier and more complicated than women. An interesting theory. But to properly examine it, one must understand the concept of sexual selection and its two aspects: male competition and female choice. Which brings us to point one: men are needier [in relationships] than women. This is true. In a natural/primal setting, the males are generally love-'em-leave-'em kinds of guys. Their main objective is to reproduce as much as they can. Humans, in their infinite wisdom, have decreased the emphasis on this to the point where it has become a footnote in male purpose. Civilization dictates that, instead of finding a partner for the sole purpose of reproduction, males find females for life companionship. With the effective removal of their natur

Waiting and such.

A doctor came to speak at our lecture series the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what kind of doctor he was. I don't remember any of the questions he answered. I don't remember any of the anecdotes he related. I don't remember any of the insight he imparted on us or any of the wisdom he shared. Except for one thing, which really resonated with me at the time. "The biggest challenge facing you as pre-health profession students," he said before the lecture ended. "Is the overwhelming cynicism of our society." He's right. He's right, and it's awful. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but at least I know it's a joke. That everything is a huge joke. But everybody is so jaded these days. We just can't stand to entertain the thought that maybe--just maybe--things aren't as bad as we think they are. As we want them to be. That maybe--just maybe--people aren't always selfish pieces of shit. There have been a lot